As the romance ensues this seasons I also got to thinking about what are truly romantic pieces. My list is as follows, although in no particular order.
These are all piano solo pieces that are perfect for a romantic evening's atmosphere. Romantic orchestral and operatic works are another list altogether. None of Sophia's pieces are on here either. That's another list as well!
1. "Moonlight" Piano Sonata, Op. 27, No. 2; Mov. 1 - Beethoven
2. "Pathetique (pah teh TEEK) Piano Sonata, Op. 13; Mov. 2 - Beethoven
3. Gymnopodie (zhim NAH puh dee) No. 1 - Satie
4. Clair de lune - Debussy
5. Arabesque No. 1 - Debussy
6. Nocturne in E Flat Major, Op. 9, No. 2 - Chopin
7. Nocturne in E Major, Op. 72, No. 1 - Chopin
8. Etude in E Major, Op. 10, No. 3 - Chopin
9. Traumerai, Op. 15, No. 7 - Schumann
10. Liebestraum, (Notturno) No. 3 in A Flat Major - Liszt
Ok, so I know everyone will ask, "Where is Bach?" Well, technically, Bach never wrote anything for the piano. He was a bit too early. However, for those non-purist dissidents out there:
Bonus: Prelude No. 1 in C Major; Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1
I hope everyone has a wonderful February and may spring come early for us all! Take the time to listen to the beautiful pieces and in the words of Clara Schumann: "Why hurry over beautiful things? Why not linger and enjoy them?"